Keto Maple Syrup Substitutes: Lakanto v ChocZero
Keep your Sunday pancake tradition!
Before we started the Keto lifestyle we used to make pancakes on the weekend… and syrup is a natural topping! When we switched to Keto we found a few good options. We’ll look at 2 popular options, Lakanto and ChocZero. Try them with our French Toast Muffins!
Many people will recognize Lakanto as a popular low glycemic and Keto brand. They have a lot of Keto and Low Carb friendly options out on the market including pancake mix, sweeteners, and so much more! We’ve been using their syrup for some time and love it! Their primary sweetener is monk fruit, but they also use erythritol.
ChocZero syrup is sweetened by Monk Fruit alone. They’re probably most well known for their chocolate, which is delicious! ChocZero has a wide variety of different syrup flavors, we tried the Maple Syrup for this review. They also have some other awesome options on their website!
So Here’s Our Comparison
Does it look/feel the Syrup?
- Lakanto: On the thin side, it fills your plate (easier to moderate serving size) and spreads evenly. Keep Refrigerated.
- ChocZero: Thick! Reminds us of honey. Do not refrigerate (or it gets too thick).
- Lakanto: Monk Fruit & Erythritol
- ChocZero: Monk Fruit
Net Carbs: (adjusted for 2 Tablespoons)
- Lakanto: 1 net carb (9 total) & 15 calories
- ChocZero: 2 net carbs (30 total) & 64 calories
* Note the nutrition label shown for ChocZero serving is 1/2 of Lakanto’s.
- Lakanto: Stronger maple flavor, but Keto Boss Babe and the kids love it!
- ChocZero: More mild maple flavor, preferred by The Keto Dad!
One thing to keep in mind - they heavily rely on net carbs (through the use of Fiber). Just keep an eye on that if you’re using a lot of syrup or are trying to stay really clean Keto. If you want to another syrup option, check out our Cinnamon and Sugar Butter.
Do these taste exactly the same as traditional Maple Syrup? Not quite, but remember - change your tastebuds, change your lifestyle! And, our kids like them!
Keto Boss Babe talks about Keto syrups!