Easy Zucchini Ziti
Your Family Won't Even Know this Meal is Keto!
Before Keto, we used to have pasta at least once a week. Spaghetti was a sure hit and lasagna rarely had leftovers!
We tried a variety of noodle replacements and found that the kids absolutely loved this! We often make a huge pan of it because the leftovers are just as good!
Here are the Kitchen Items You'll Need:
- Carrot Peeler
- 9x13 pan or two 8x8
- Sauce pan
Here are the Ingredients You'll Need:
- The Basics:
- 2 Large or 3 small zucchinis
- Pasta Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese
- 1lb Ground Beef
- Italian seasoning
- Optional: (note carb increases)
- Ricotta Cheese
- Cottage Cheese
The Keto Dad Tips and Tricks:
- Make extras! It's awesome as leftovers (and freezes/dethaws easily)
- We used to make this as a lasagna - with zucchini sliced the long way like a lasagna noodle or diced in circles. We found that if the kids don't have to try to cut through the zucchini, they're less likely to object to the replacement!
- I peel the zucchini for the same reason. Without the rind on, it looks less like zucchini and more like a "normal' pasta noodle!
- If you want to reduce the water, lightly salt and press with a paper towel. It doesn't bother us, and I feel like it actually helps with the leftovers!
- We even make a smaller one (pictured here) for Keto Baby that is dairy free
- Dice your zucchini - we cut it in circles and then quarter it
- Grate 8oz Mozzarella cheese
- Brown the Ground Beef
- Pour just enough Pasta sauce in your pan(s) to cover the bottom to keep your zucchini from sticking.
- Simmer the Ground Beef in pasta sauce (we use Rao's)
- Add Italian seasoning to the sauce if you'd like
- You can either mix all your ingredients together and pour in the pan(s) or layer it (we prefer to layer)
- Layer of Zucchini, layer of sauce with beef, layer of grated mozzarella cheese, add in any ricotta or cottage cheese if you're using it. Then another layer of zucchini, sauce and cheese!
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 min or until zucchini is soft
Watch The Keto Dad make this Recipe!